Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Deathbed

Relient K released a new album, Five Score and Seven years ago, awhile back. I must confess, I was pretty slow in this getting it. I can’t give a good reason for this…Relient K was always a band I listened to and supported. Nevertheless, Jenny and I finally have the new album.

I don’t want this to turn into a review, but what I do hope is that the one song on the album, Deathbed, hits you the same way it hits me.

The fact that the song is 11:05 long gives people a negative reaction before they even hear the song in the first place. But, here is the scoop on “long songs”…

You have to be in the mood for them…

Several Artists have tried producing songs that have considerably great lengths. Let’s take Weird Al Yankovic for example (ah, there’s somebody great to use for normal comparisons, but anyways…). He has a several (Albuquerque, Genius in France, Trapped in Drive-Thru, etc) songs that are quite long. In all three cases, they aren’t his best stuff, but not his worst either. A few times I skip these songs thinking “ah…it’s too long for my liking right now”. Other times, I listen to these songs and have a blast.

Lengthy songs are something you have to be in the mood for. However, at least for me, Deathbed is an exception.

I have yet to skip this song for any reason. In fact, it is one of, if not THE, best songs on the Album, in my humble opinion.

The song tells a story about an individual who has had an extremely rough life. This is an individual who had a rough, abandoned childhood; a bad, forced marriage with a girl he "californicated" who would eventually leave due to lack of love; an alcoholic and a smoker. The narrator is on his deathbed reflecting over his life.

Enter: The climax of the song. Let's call it, "The Climactor!" "You can't stop the "Climactor!" "Ain't no party like the Climactor party cuz the Climactor party don't stop!"

As lung cancer is killing the narrator he begins pondering the Love of Jesus...

I was so scared of Jesus
But He sought me out
Like the cancer in my lungs
That's killing me now
And I've given up hope
On the days I have left
But I cling to the hope
Of my life in the next

Then Jesus showed up
Said "Before we go"
"I thought that we might reminisce"
"See one night in your life"
"When you turned out the light"
"You asked for and prayed for my forgiveness"

You cried wolf
The tears they soaked your fur
The blood dripped from your fangs
You said, "What have I done?"
You loved that lamb
With every sinful bone
And there you wept alone
Your heart was so contrite

You said,"Jesus, please forgive me of my crimes
Sanctify this withered heart of mine
Stay with me until my life is through
And on that day please take me home with you".

I can smell the death on the sheets
Covering me
I can't believe this is the end
I can hear You whisper to me,
"It's time to leave
You'll never be lonely again"
But this was my deathbed
I died there alone
When I closed my eyes tonight
You carried me home

Finally, at the end of the song, Jon Foreman of Switchfoot makes a guest appearance as the voice of Jesus, singing:

I am the way
Follow me and take my hand
And I am the truth
Embrace me and you'll understand
I am the Light
And for me you'll live again
For I am love
I am love
I, I am love

This is truly a fantastic song. Relient K's forte is perfectly balancing spirituality, reality, and comedy into one album. The love of Jesus reaches people of all types, all races, all genders, all backgrounds. This is not only a good song, it gets me thinking every line of every verse.

Thanks to producers Townsend and Benson and especially to Matt Thiessen, Matt Hoopes, Dave Douglas, John Warne, and Jon Schneck as well as special guest Jon Foreman for making this not only a great song, but a spritual journey.

2 comments:

John Wright said...

I love "Deathbed" as well...I don't think I've skipped it either. I've thought about writing a review of the album, but I haven't gotten around to it yet, and I'm not sure I will. Great song, though.

CAB647 said...

I am always amazed at the ability of those guys to be such goofballs, and then turn out something really deep in the next track. Thanks for the info, I think I'll check out the song.