Thursday, April 26, 2007

Salty's Fate

There have been numerous discussions on what the destiny of Braves catching prospect Jarrod Saltalamacchia (his name always seems to get the red wavy underline). There have been talks of a position switch for either he, or Brian McCann.

MLB Trade Rumors explores different possible trades between the Braves and the Tigers (plus a few other teams mixed in), a team that is interested in a young catcher.

In case you aren't familiar with MLB Trade Rumors, it is a site that gathers all types of rumors concerning transactions of MLB players. It is simply a collection of rumors, nothing reliable.

If you are subscribed to MLBTR, you really have to be a critical reader. Sometimes they make public a rumor that is completely idiotic (for example, the article suggests a Salty for Dontrelle Willis swap, ha!). Other times, they are right on the money and a trade rumor they share happens days or even hours later. I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Don't translate this post as saying that Salty is about to be a Detroit Tiger.

So back to Salty. Really, I feel like his stock is highest as a minor leaguer. I'd like to see Salty stay a Brave, but I fear is stock dropping once he gets up here and faces tougher pitching. Some say LF is where he'll be. I've heard that the Braves aren't very high on putting him in LF (source was ajc.com I think). Outfield prospects Brandon Jones and Gregor Blanco seem to be sending a message (with their bats) that the OF is stacked in the minors for the time being.

If I had a vote on where to put Salty, I'd put him at 1B. Thorman probably will eventually be a decent major league hitter, but probably not soon enough for Braves fans' patience to stick with him. Also, 1b is the weakest position in the Braves minor league system, as far as quality of prospects goes.

Still, if the right trade offer comes, especially for pitching, I'd say jump on it. Salty's value will possibly drop when he jumps to the big club...although I've been wrong before.

No comments: