Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Highlighter [1 Samuel 6 - 2 Samuel 2]

This past week I read 1 Samuel 6 through 2 Samuel 2. Here is what particularly stuck out to me...

1 Samuel 12:21 - Do not turn away after useless idols. They can do you no good, nor can they rescue you, because they are useless.

When it comes to idolatry, I believe it's worth mentioning that idolatry never really accomplishes what we want it to. Let me explain. Contrary to what I hear quite often, idolatry doesn't just occur in the OT. It still occurs in 2009. Although instead of worshiping golden statues and fountains, we are worshiping our status, fame, money, [insert your favorite material object].
But it never accomplishes what we want it to. We want these things to make us happy. We convince ourselves "If I put this new mega-booming-super-sonic stereo in my car, then I'll be happy." So we save up. We work that extra hour, bag that extra bag of groceries, flip that extra burger, till finally we have the money we need. We purchase this stereo. Then we live happily ever after. Until...

We see that other stereo. One that is even more mega, more booming, more supersonic than the one we recently purchased. All of a sudden, we aren't so happy.

See what I mean? It doesn't accomplish what Satan wants us to think it accomplishes. Solomon says it better than I can ever say it...whoever loves money never has money enough...(Eccl 5:10)

This particular verse in 2 Samuel ends with the phrase because they are useless. Useless. That's powerful.

Obviously, and I think this goes without mentioning (but I suppose I'll mention it anyways) we know we aren't going to be thrown into the eternal fire for purchasing a stereo. But no matter where we are in our walk with Jesus, we ALL need reminders that only Jesus brings us eternal hope and joy.

1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

It's hard for me to talk about this verse without mentioning the lyrics of one of my favorite Contemporary Christian songs growing up. So I'll just point you to the lyrics and avoid being repetitive. (By the way, it's truly an awesome song!)

1 Samuel 23:2 he inquired of the LORD, saying, "Shall I go and attack these Philistines?"

I love that phrase inquired of the LORD. It occurs frequently throughout both 1 and 2 Samuel, but I'll just mention it here.

1 Samuel 30:6 But David found strength in the LORD his God.

Amen. What is our true source of strength?

-------------------
I love the David story. I've always thought that the David story, if done properly, would make an incredible movie.

Grace and Peace!